Navarra has become a world benchmark in renewable energies, especially in wind power. It is home to 41 wind farms with 1,164 turbines and an installed capacity of 972 MW.
This leadership position is even more marked in the field of large-scale wind power, where we have leading world companies in both the development of wind farms (Gamesa, Acciona) and the manufacture of wind turbines and their components (Gamesa, Acciona, Alstom, Ingeteam…).
The Government of Navarra has worked intensively to develop renewable resources through support policies. Indeed, in 2004 it was awarded the European Union prize for the Best Regional Policy for developing renewable energy sources.
The successes achieved are:
20% of overall energy demand in the region has been covered by renewables since 2009 (1 of 3 EU objectives for 2020).
More than 81.1% of electricity consumption is covered by renewables.
The weight of the sector is considerable:
- An industrial fabric of around 100 companies.
- 5,000 jobs.
- It represents 5% of the region’s GDP.
- Leading world companies in the sector have set up operations in Navarra.
Why invest in this sector?
Navarra is a reference point in R&D facilities. It has two specialized centers:
CENER A technology center specialized in applied research and the development and promotion of renewable energies.
- State-of-the-art technology, such as the wind turbine test laboratory, unique in the world.
- 200 researchers.
- Services to companies, public administrations and institutions all over the world.
CENIFER National Center for Training in Renewable Energies. The first inititative of its type in Europe in vocational training for the sector.
- Continuous interation between theory and practice
- More than 5,000 people trained to date
- 22 22 full-time trainers, 17 classrooms, and laboratories
Navarra has a skilled and experience workforce in the clean technologies sector.
Navarra is a very productive region in Spain and Europe for companies to set up their operations.
Navarra is a distribution platform, also strategically located for companies to manufacture and distribute their products to North Africa and Portugal.